Friday, November 21, 2008

How do you explain two months to a 21 month old?

Wednesday night I took Emmy to a meeting with me about the bill to license midwives that's being presented to Legislature this January. The meeting was in the Magic Valley Birth Center in Jerome that just opened in August. Of course Emmy had to go potty while we were there because, well, she just has to go potty at any new place we go to. It's like an adventure for her. The restroom in the birth center had a huge poster on the wall of a 40 week pregnant woman and the baby in her belly. Emmy has loved looking at illustrations of babies inside bellies the past couple months, but she especially loved this one. I think it's because this was the first one she's seen that had the baby smiling with it's eyes open. Emmy started clapping and saying "baby, baby" pointing from the poster to my belly, and she's been obsessed about the baby since then.
This morning she wanted me to sing her favorite song, which is "I'm so Glad When Daddy Comes Home" but she likes to substitute different names in it. So we sing it through using Dada, Papa, Donna, Grandma, Chad, Mama...anyone she can think of...even herself. She tells me at the end of one version who she would like to sing about in the next version. It was probably about the ninth version when her eyes lit up and she got this huge smile and exclaimed "Baby!" while patting my belly. Okay, I never got this request before so it made me smile as I started the song for her. I changed the lyrics climb up on his knee to hold her on my knees and when we got done singing Emmy patted my belly and said "baby, a hold". I said she could hug my belly right now and then we would help her hold the baby after she comes out. Emmy looked at me and said "out now". I immediately opened my mouth to just say the baby had to stay in my belly for another two months but closed it when I looked at Emmy's puzzled and expectant face. Even though she is incredibly smart and understands perfectly what tomorrow means, she has no concept of how long a month is. I finally just sighed and told her it would be a very long time before the baby comes out.
Emmy hugged me and said "okay" then slid off my lap and climbed up on the love seat where she grabbed her baby doll and began reading her a book. Being the hormonal pregnant lady that I am, I had tears spilling down my cheeks in no time. Being a Mom is the greatest thing in the world!





PS A huge congratulations to Kelsey and Chris, who found out yesterday that they are having a little boy!! We're very excited about having another nephew!

1 comment:

The VIPs said...

aww, how fun that Emmy's so excited to meet her baby sister